Wednesday 1 August 2012

Wednesday Finals

As much as I might like to pretend otherwise, my work isn't all fun and games. After my alarm goes off at 4.30am, I am soon on my bike completing the 7 mile ride to get to Eton Dorney. Today reminded me why it is worth the effort and allowed me to appreciate how the Olympics is such an important and inspirational event.


Today was the first of four final days at Dorney. It marked GBs first Gold medal and also a brave, fantastic effort by the mens 8. That race in particular was spectacular with all 6 crews finishing within a length of each other. Constantine Louloudis, who stroked the boat, is someone who I raced against a couple of years ago when coxing for Kings. He is a humble guy and a phenomenal athlete. I look forward to seeing him progress further at Rio.


A large part of my day was spent working in the 'Kiss and Cry' area. Situated next to the press zone it is where the athletes meet their families and friends after their races to either commiserate or celebrate the result. You get a good view of the lake, big screen and stands and it is easily one of the better places to be. The BBC also broadcast from within the zone which meant Redgrave, Pinsent and Cracknell were often shuffling in and out between races. While this started to become expected, the appearances of Royalty were a little more noteworthy. Both William and Harry seeing the first of GB's successes.


I've got to know several of the athletes and it has been interesting to follow the rowing from a more personal focus over the last few days. As well as GB there are a variety of random nationalities within different events that I will be following closely. Three more days to go and it is looking promising

No comments:

Post a Comment